Monday to Friday: 7AM - 7PM
Weekend: 10AM - 5PM
Different Materials Used By Top Contractors For House Construction
Building a home, no matter what size is increasingly more expensive, not just because of real estate prices, but also because of the cost of building materials. We’ve rounded up a selection of the most important types of materials that are used by top contractors for house construction.
Mostly used Construction Materials in House Construction
There are many types of building materials used in the construction industry, man-made materials such as Concrete, Steel, etc, and naturally occurring materials such as wood, clay, leaves, etc. Each material has a different set of properties such as weight, strength, durability, and cost which makes it suitable for certain types of construction works.
Here, we’ll take a look at five materials that most of the top contractors have relied on to build homes, halls, buildings, and many other types of structures.
Wood when compared to other alternatives like plastic and other engineered products, wood offers a great natural advantage. Traditionally, wood construction has been the primary choice of Indian construction, especially in rural areas. Today, wood as a building material is also making headway in urban spaces.
As a construction material, wood can be used as a primary material or it can be blended with other building materials and used as either a decorative element or support structure. Wood is very lightweight when compared to stone, and its strength increases once it’s been seasoned to remove moisture. It can also be cut to length easily.
Advantages of Wood
- Wood is very lightweight when compared to other alternatives.
- Though wood is a lightweight building material, it outperforms even steel when it comes to breaking length.
- Unlike concrete or metals, wood is a building material that can be grown and regrown through natural processes such as replanting and forestry management programs.
Bricks and Blocks
Made up of clay or mud, bricks and blocks come in several shapes and sizes and offer high strength to the building structure. Bricks and blocks are the most commonly used construction material. They have long been used to construct homes and offices across India.
Advantages of Bricks & Blocks
- Bricks naturally have high thermal stability.
- Bricks can be easily made from local materials.
- They are very cheap to manufacture and offer high durability.
- Offers a range of insulation, moisture absorption, and resonance properties.
Stone as a construction material is very durable and impressive stuff, but it’s also challenging to quarry, and heavy to move, and it has tension and stress limitations. Stones can be extremely strong and useful natural material as compared to bricks.
Advantages of Stones
- Stone can resist deforming of shape over time.
- Stones can oppose harsh weather conditions like storms, rains, and tornados.
- Stone helps in withstanding fire thus providing better safety.
Concrete is the single most widely used construction material in the world. Concrete is an aggregate made up of many materials like stones and sand that are mixed with a binder like cement and water. The mixture is then left to dry and harden. It’s a flexible material that can be formed on the spot or poured into molds, hardened, and then transported.
Advantages of Concrete
- Concrete structures require minimal maintenance when compared to other structures.
- Concrete is cost-effective and can be produced very easily.
- Concrete can be re-used in many cases, so it’s environmentally friendly.
Structural steel is a popular construction material, often used alongside concrete to create impressive and long-lasting buildings. Its versatility, sustainability, and flexibility are some of the main reasons for its use, as well as being a very cost-effective material. Steel can also easily be prefabricated to make for a fast and easy installation.
Advantages of Steel
- Steel can be reused many times and is 100% recyclable.
- Steel is tensile. It has a high strength-to-weight ratio which means it has a high strength-per-unit mass.
- Steel can be easily fabricated and produced massively.
A contractor should always know what materials are used to build a house. He should choose the construction materials for house construction based on their requirements and application. Contractors should also consider the nature of the projects and general conditions regarding raw materials, such as their transportation, availability, and rates for cost effectiveness.
Try Onsite, #1 Tool For Site Tracking