Monday to Friday: 7AM - 7PM
Weekend: 10AM - 5PM
Steel calculator for beam is an essential tool used in the construction industry to accurately determine the weight of steel beams.
Calculations for Steel Calculator for Beam
Assumptions for Example
- There are 2 types of bars in a Beam: Main Bar & Distribution Bar
- Main(Top) Bar Diameter = 16 mm
- Number of Main(Top) Bars = 3
- Distribution(Bottom) Bar Diameter = 20 mm
- Number of Distribution(Bottom) Bars = 3
- Length of Beam = 4500 mm
- Width of Beam = 230 mm
- Depth of Beam = 600 mm
- Diameter of Stirrup(Ring) = 8 mm
- C/C distance of ring(mm) at supports= 100 mm
- C/C distance of ring(mm) at mid supports= 150 mm
- Concrete Cover = 25 mm
- We are using a Steel grade of fe500
Step 1 – Calculation of cutting length for Main(Top) & Distribution(Bottom) Bar’s
Cutting Length of Main Bar = Length + Development Length(on 2 sides) – Bend(on 2 ends) – clear cover
Cutting Length of Distribution Bar = Length + Development Length(on 2 sides) – Bend(on 2 ends) – clear cover
Here , Development Length = 50D & Bend =2D ; where D= Diameter of Bar
Cutting Length of Main Bar = 4500 + 2x50x16 – 2x2x16 – 2×25 = 5986 mm
Cutting Length of Distribution Bar = 4500 + 2x50x20 – 2x2x20 – 2×25 = 6370 mm
Step 2 – Calculate the Number of Stirrups
Number of Stirrups required = 2xStirrup(support zone) + Stirrup(mid support zone)
= 2[(L/3)/spacing at support + 1] + [(L/3)/spacing at mid support + 1]
= 2[(4500/3)/100 + 1] + [(4500/3)/150 + 1]
Step 3 – Calculate the Cutting Length of Stirrup
Cutting length of Stirrup = Perimeter of stirrup + Number of Bends + Number of Hooks
= 2(a+b) + 3 numbers of 90 degree bends + 2 numbers of hooks
= 2(a+b) + 3x2xd + 2x2xd
Here, a & b are the Width & Depth of the beam ; d is the diameter of stirrup
Cutting length of stirrup = 2(230 + 600) + 3x2x8 + 2x2x8
= 1740 mm
Step 4 -Total Length Calculation
Total Length of Main(top) Bar = 3 x 5986
= 17958 mm = 18 m
Total Length of Distribution(bottom) Bar = 3 x 6370
= 19110 mm = 20 m
Total Length of Stirrup Bar = 43 x 1740
= 74820 mm = 75 m
Step 5 -Calculation of Steel Weight
Weight of the bar as per their length and diameter by following the Formula: –
Unit weight formula for kg per metre =(D2/163) × L kg/m
Unit weight for feet per metre = (D2/ 533) × L kg/ft
L is the required length of a Steel bar of Diameter D
Weight of Main Bar = (162/163) x 18 = 28.27 Kg
Weight of Distribution Bar = (202/163) x 20 = 40.08 Kg
Weight of Stirrup Bar = (82/163) x 75 = 29.45 Kg
Total Steel Weight = 28.27 + 40.08 + 29.45 = 97.8kg
Advantages of Steel Weight Calculator for Beam
- Precision: Steel weight calculators provide precise estimations of beam weights, enabling architects, engineers, and contractors to effectively plan construction projects.
- Cost Efficiency: Accurate weight calculations help in estimating material costs more effectively, avoiding potential budget overruns.
- Structural Integrity: Calculating beam weights ensures that the selected beams can handle expected loads, maintaining the structural integrity of the construction.
- Safety Assurance: Properly sized and weighted beams are crucial for ensuring the overall safety of a structure.
Best Practices for Steel Weight Calculator for Beam
- Accurate Input: Ensure precise input of beam dimensions, including length, width, and height, into the calculator to obtain accurate weight calculations.
- Select Appropriate Steel Grade: Consider the specific steel grade to meet the required standards for strength and durability.
- Consider Load Factors: Account for anticipated loads during calculations to ensure the beams can safely support the intended weight.
- Regular Updates: Stay updated with the latest steel weight calculation formulas and standards for accurate and up-to-date results.
- Double-Check Results: Verify the calculated weight values using multiple calculators or manual calculations to ensure accuracy.
Other Important Calculators for you
People also search for: beam steel calculation, beam weight calculator, weight of beam calculator, steel calculator for beam, how to calculate number of stirrups in beam, beam steel calculator, i beam weight calculator in kg, beam steel quantity calculation, main bars and distribution bars